Head lice are small parasites that can commonly acquire from sharing combs, brushes, clothes, or caps. This problem is very common to preschool and schoolchildren, having an itching and tickling feeling of something moving in the hair.
These parasites are fed by sucking blood from the scalp, making human hair their territory. They hatch microscopic-size eggs mistakenly presumed as dandruff or by-product of some hair styling products.
Lice produces saliva that will cause itching and lead to open wounds and infection. So, if you are experiencing such discomfort in your hair, it’s time for a check and use home remedies to get rid of those parasites.
8 Home Remedies in Treating Head Lice:
– Olive oil is an effective treatment against lice. It suffocates and kill those parasites on the spot. First, comb your hair to remove its eggs from the hair and apply the olive oil. Gently massage it to the scalp. Put on shower cap and let it sit for about an overnight.
Olive oil is one of the most effective natural remedies for head lice because it acts as a suffocating agent. When using olive oil, select the least expensive grade. Make it educational and fun by explaining to your child what you are going to do and make a big deal about removing the “bad bugs”.
– Put mayonnaise all over the hair and massage it to the scalp. Put on shower cap and let it sit overnight. In the morning, wash it with shampoo and use a comb to remove the leftover eggs.
For Head Lice: The viscosity of mayonnaise suffocates and restricts the breathing of head lice and nymphs. Nymphs die out of less respiration in no time. However, the head lice become drowsy and reach to a state similar to coma. And when you comb, they easily fall off the hair.
For Nits or Head Lice Eggs: Sadly, mayonnaise cannot kill the nits because it cannot penetrate into the hard protection layer of the eggs.
ACV and Coconut Oil
– Put an apple cider vinegar all over the hair and when it dries, apply the coconut oil from the hair down to the scalp. Put on shower cap and let it sit for at least 8 hours. Repeat this method once a week for three weeks to make sure all of it will be wash off.
Coconut oil is an excellent treatment for lice, due to its high fat content and lubricating nature, making it difficult for the lice to grasp the hair follicles. It is also a natural moisturizer for the scalp, and has an antibacterial quality, preventing some of the irritation and infections that can damage the skin, some of which are caused by lice. Coconut oil is quite thick when applied to the hair and scalp, which suffocates the lice, effectively killing them and preventing them from reproducing. You can then run a lice comb through your hair to remove the dead lice.
Apple cider vinegar is something that many of us have in our cupboards. It is better served killing eggs before lice can be born. Unfortunately, apple cider vinegar cannot get rid of mature lice, but it is very helpful. It also makes combing out the nits much smoother.
Salt and Coconut/Olive Oil
– Salt and vinegar are good combination in hydrating your hair and killing off head lice. First, Mix 1/4 cup of salt and 1/4 cup of warm water into a spray bottle. Spray the mixture on the hair and let it sit until it dries up. After, coat your hair and scalp with coconut or olive oil. For best result, soak your hair with this mixture overnight or at least 8 hours.
Salt has a desiccation property, which eradicates the head lice, the salt will be able to to kill the lice through creating an environment of extreme dryness on your scalp. While the oil suffocates the lice.
Tea Tree Oil
– Mix 20 drops of tea tree oil and 2 teaspoons of your regular shampoo. Wash your hair using it. Tea tree oil is effective in killing lice.
Essential oils are great for a wide range of things. Tea tree oil is one that is good for ridding the head of lice. The oil suffocates the lice and does so naturally so you don’t have to worry about chemicals. When using this oil, it is much easier to comb the nuts out of the hair.
Hot Coconut Oil – Coconut oil contains anti-microbial properties called lauric acid best in killing lice. It fatty acids suffocates the parasites to death. Just heat a coconut oil using microwave. Make sure that the heat is bearable. Apply the heat coconut oil using your fingers. Massage it and let it sit for 30 minutes. Comb it to remove leftover eggs after.
– Using a hair dryer is a very effective way of killing lice and its eggs. Make small sections of your hair from scalp to its ends for 15-20 minutes.
Head lice can be destroyed by heat. If they are submitted to a temperature higher than 40 degrees Celsius or 104 degrees Fahrenheit, lice will die. If you use a hair dryer or a flat iron at such a temperature, you might manage to kill adult head lice as well as some nits.
– As Onions are high in sulfur that is best in killing lice and its eggs. Blend the onions until you make a paste. Filter the paste until you extract the juice. Coat your hair with the liquid and put on a shower cap. Let it sit for 2-3 hours. Wash it with your regular shampoo and dry it. Repeat this treatment for three days and once a month for the following months.
Inhabiting lice could be such a discomfort and lower down the self-esteem. Before it over populates your hair, get rid of it using and trying all of these home remedies.