There is a common saying that most of people have known, which states that “if life gives you lemons, then make lemonade.”
However, what if you don’t actually need lemons anymore because you were able to grow your own?
There is an easy and effortless method that you can actually do in order to grow limitless stocks of lemon at your home. You can get one whenever you wanted in just a step away from your house to your back yard.
If you are one of those people who love to drink lemonade or who always wanted to use lemon juice in their cooking, then having your own lemon tree at home is a great way to save up on groceries.
Lemons have been well-known due to its refreshing taste and it is also loaded with various nutrients and minerals. Learning how to grow lemon tree seed is amazingly satisfying and easy. Lemon has the tendency to flourish outdoors a year around in most of hot, sunny regions and they can also be grown indoors as edible houseplants in cold-season climates. They can be effortlessly grown into a nice looking plant.
It only needs very little equipment and several numbers of seeds from an organic lemon. This is the reason why I will be showing you how you can actually grow your own kind of lemon tree inside your home or outside on your back yard with a use of a seed from a lemon itself. Before that, let’s get into some of its health benefits first.
Here is the list of the health benefits from lemon:
Even though lemons are not actually the first fruit that will come into your mind when you are looking for a snack, there is no denying that it is a powerful fruit, which is loaded with lots of health benefits.
To start it off, lemons have been known to have an amazing content on Vitamin C, which makes them great for healing common sickness just like cold, cough and even flu. Some of people are not aware and even informed about what Vitamin C can actually do, however, it has been found out that lemons have this ability to treat more serious kinds of health conditions just like osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis.
It can also aid in decreasing inflammation, as well as the damaging effects of free radicals in the body. Lemons are also loaded with a variety of other flavonoids that contain both antioxidant and anticancer properties. Here are the other health benefits of lemons:
- It enhances hydration
- It is a great source of Vitamin C
- It can help in improving the quality of your skin
- It supports the loss of weight
- It helps in digestion
- It makes the breath fresh
- It also aid in preventing kidney stones
How to have a lemon plant or tree at your home?
- Breathable plastic bag
- A pot or container
- An area where sunlight is visible
Planting the seed:
Damp down your plotting soil by simply putting it into a container with a combination of some amount of water. Fill your bowl with watered soil, neglecting at least an inch of its space beneath its rim.
Cut open your lemon and look for a seed that is still in a fully clad shape. Suck on the seed so that all of the left flesh will be removed, you just need to make sure that it will not dry out because it is required to be moist when you are about to plant it. Plant your seed for at least a half inch beneath the soil and water it with a shoot bottle or carefully with the use of a watering can.
Conceal your container with the help of a breathable plastic in order to make sure that it will stay warm and it will also moist. Place it in a warm spot.
You need to make sure that it is not too damp because excessive moisture will only lead the seed to rot; therefore, try to seek for a nice balance. Observe it for the next week that is about to come and keep an eye on the area where you have planted the seed.
As time goes by and when you notice that it is starting to sprout, get rid of the plastic cover then. Once the plant has already sprouted, move it into an area that is still warm, but has direct sunlight.
Here is what you will do in caring for your plant:
- You need to make sure that your soil is at moist at all time, particularly when the lemon is tree is still young. Do not let the water accumulation; nevertheless, make sure that your container has a drainage holes because it is a great help for you plant to breath properly.
- Place it in a warm and sunny window where it will receive at least eight hours of direct sunlight on a daily basis or you can also supplement some sun for a grow light. You need to make sure that it is place in a place like that to have a healthy plant.
- In order to maintain your lemon tree healthy and growing the soil will eventually require to be replenished with a lot of nutrients. Just like what people do to most of other plants, make sure to add some amount of fertilizer to it when needed and make sure to not overfeed it.
- Pay attention to the growth of your tree like a baby. So when the time comes that your tree starts to grow a little larger, you may actually need to transfer it into a larger container. If it is already too big for your home, you can move it to a better place just like your back yard or also in front of your porch or balcony if you live in an apartment. Just like us, our plants can become a victim of bugs and other disease, so that it needs extra love and affection.